Monday, March 26, 2012

Resting My Brain

I thought I would get over my need for brainless entertainment once I quit my mentally taxing job.  Not so much, it turns out.  I still love my celebrity gossip magazines (I do restrict my reading of these to the elliptical machine at the gym, so at least I’m benefiting my body if not my soul).  I still love my TV shows, and I love to watch them alone, without my husband, for a little me-time.  We do watch a few things together (travel shows, Buffy, even Downton Abbey!), but he really has no interest in some of my shows, and I have none in his.  He watches a lot of political analysis programs, which usually serve only to make me mad and indignant.  Also, he’s a big geek (and I mean that in the best possible, most loving way).  I’m just not interested in the Star Trek-this-and-that, or in the Ancient Aliens.  He shakes his head when I put on the E! channel.  To each his own.  In residency, I used to tell myself I needed to “rest my brain” with The Girls Next Door when I got home from cogitating all day.  Now, with that excuse defunct, I will just have to admit that I love me some brainless entertainment.   Judge away!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! Wow, from an RN, being able to hear all this. So honest and frank, super interesting from my perspective. Oh, and I should say an 'almost former' RN, pursuing my passion for wellness and not illness, and also leaving my profession. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you, following your heart out of this abusive profession we call medicine. It truly is a calling and an honor to be a health care professional, but for some of us the negative impact on our health and lives outweighs the rewarding points.

    ReplyDelete